Hospice and Palliative Care
Hospice services were created to provide compassionate care and support to patients and families facing a terminal illness. We provide a trained, interdisciplinary team under the guidance of a medical director to provide the best possible care to hospice patients and their families.
Meet The Hospice Team
- Registered nurses provide case management including pain and symptoms management, patient and family teaching and equipment assessment.
- Medical social workers assess and follow patient and family needs for emotional and psychological support, as well as providing information and assistance with financial and care giving issues and alternative placement needs.
- Homecare aides provide personal care for patients and light homemaker services.
- The spiritual coordinator/chaplain assesses spiritual needs and supports for the patient and family, as well as providing religious rituals when requested.
- Therapies (physical, occupational, speech and nutrition) assess and follow up to ensure quality of life, independence and safety.
- Volunteers provide respite care, clerical support, often help with errands and assist patient and families. They are supervised and trained by a volunteer coordinator.
- The bereavement program is managed by a counselor specializing in meeting the needs of the family for the first year following the patient's death. Services typically include telephone conversations, mailings, visits and providing for support groups.
- The hospice medical director teaches and advises the hospice team and consults with patient's attending physicians when requested.
Palliative care services also are available for patients while continuing on with curative treatments. The goal of these services is to improve quality of life. This is accomplished by good pain and symptom management, as well as teaching and addressing all needs presented by the illness. Team members are able to assist patients and families with end-of-life decision-making and advance care directives.
A palliative care specialist is available for consultation for pain and symptom management, assisting with decision making regarding treatments and care coordination.
To find out more, call 800.978.0838 or 508.957.7710.